John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park – America’s first underwater park.
Discover one of the most unique parks in the United States. Encompassing some 70 square nautical miles, John Pennekamp offers incredible opportunities to explore and experience the marine ecosystem surrounding the Florida Keys.
- Join a snorkel or diving charter and descend on the protected coral reefs found off Key Largo.
- Board a glass-bottom boat for a swim-free exploration of the coral gardens.
- Rent a kayak or canoe and paddle through the park’s 50 miles of mangrove wilderness trails.
- Cast your favorite bait in the park’s designated fishing areas.
- Book a pavilion for a family picnic or barbecue
- Lounge on Canon Beach and snorkel the remains of a Spanish shipwreck just 100 feet offshore.
Dagny Johnson Key Largo Hammock Botanical State Park
Hike along nature trails that wind for more than six miles through one of the largest hammocks of West Indian tropical hardwood in the United States. This protected natural sanctuary is home to 84 protected species of plants and animals, and along the way you might spot wild cotton, mahogany mistletoe, or even glimpse a Florida crocodile. Most of the park’s trails are paved for easy trekking and wheelchair-friendly accessibility. Signs along a self-guided tour provide all sorts of interesting information about the park’s ecosystem and biodiversity. Park Rangers also offer guided tours. Dagny Johnson Key Largo Hammock Botanical State Park is located on County Road 905, about a half-mile north of the intersection with U.S. Highway 1 at Mile Marker 106.
Laura Quinn Wild Bird Sanctuary
Discover this sanctuary that provides a natural and protected habitat for birds that are too severely injured to be returned to the wild. Laura Quinn founded this retreat to provide a secure and threat-free habitat where these birds can thrive and enjoy long, enriching lives. The sanctuary is home to acres of pristine wetlands, as well as the only known saltwater tidal pool in Monroe County. Take a stroll and marvel at the variety of flora and fauna passed along the way. Snap photos of native birds and other wildlife in this unique environment born from the passion of one dedicated woman.